Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Zion to Bryce Canyon

I feel obligated to give a plug to Ruby's Inn which is located just outside Bryce Canyon Park, because even though I'm not staying here they are allowing me to sit in their lobby and use their wi-fi. Oh, and they've also got the Book of Mormon FOR FREE in ANY language in case you're interested

Wednesday, June 21, 4:45 PM

Today started real early, like 2:30 AM when I was woken up by the gusting wind in Zion National Park. Of course because I am in a tent, everything outside seems very loud and close and the wind was blowing. It was pushing the sides of the tent in and in reaction I placed all my heavy items (or all my items) against the bottom of the wall from where the wind was blowing. It actually did get under the tent at one point and blow the floor up, which kind of freaked me out. I eventually decided I should take off the tent fly because it was acting as a bit of a sail and catching the wind. This helped a bit although now the top of my tent, which is made of screen, was now exposed. I eventually got back to sleep around 3:30 AM but I woke up again around 6:30 and decided it was time to get a move on.

After I came to peace with the fact that I got a horrible night's sleep, I was ready to have a great day and I did. Zion was really incredible although I didn't even get a chance to see Zion Canyon itself, you can only get into Zion canyon by taking a shuttle bus and I wasn't really wanting to take that kind of time and I spotted a hike I could do in lieu of Zion Canyon that turned out to be just right. It was on the way out of the park and about a half hour hike that ended on top of a mountain looking down at the valley which really hit the spot.

Then it was on to Bryce Canyon, a quick 80 mile ride from Zion, I stopped for breakfast and to take in some of the incredible scenery on my way. I didn't have reservations for a campsite but that was no trouble at all since I was there early enough to get some of the first come, first serve sites.

After setting up camp I rode around Bryce Canyon which is just incredible! The entire park basically consists of a 20 mile road that goes along the top of the canyon. You are meant to drive out the 20 miles then stop on the way back since the sights will then be on your right. You get to the end of the road and you're about 9000 feet up and you're looking down on mountains and formations in Grand Staircase National Monument. At one overlook I could even see the Arizona wildfire that is burning, it was pretty amazing. On the drive back I couldn't help but stop and take in all the incredible views.

And that was about all I've done in the last 24 hours (or all I can think of now) I'm going to grab some dinner now. I'm going about 150 miles to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon tomorrow which I'm very excited to finally see. Then on Friday the marathon begins, an endless drive through Arizona, New Mexico and half of Texas to Austin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home